400ml plain flour
4 tsp baking powder
150g butter or margarine
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg yolks
300ml whipping cream
1/2tsp vanilla extract
fruit / berries
Preheat oven to 175oc.
1. Place the eggs in a bowl.
2. Add the sugar.
3. Beat until fluffy.
4. Eggs and sugar.
5. Add flour and baking powder.
6. Mix well.
7. Add the water.
8. Mix to a smooth mixture.
9. Line a deep baking tray (approximately 300mm x 400mm) with baking paper and pour in the mixture.
10. Bake for approximately 20 minutes.
11. Remove the cake from the oven and check that it is backed through by inserting a stick, if the stick comes out clean the cake is done.
Whilst the cake is in the oven prepare the icing:
1. Place the butter in a microwave safe bowl.
2. Melt the butter.
3. Stir in the sugar.
4. Add vanilla extract.
5. Separate the egg whites out into a separate container.
6. And add the egg yolks to the butter mixture.
7. Stir well.
8, The mixture should have this consistency.
When the cake is baked (and still hot):
1. Pour the butter mixture over the cake.
2. Using a fork pierce through the cake to allow the mixture to soak through the cake.
3. Leave the cake to set in the fridge for 30minutes before decorating. Or freeze if the cake is for a later date.
When the cake has set, remove the baking paper and place the cake on a serving plate:
1. Add 1/2tsp vanilla extract and 1tsp sugar to the cream and whisk until stiff.
2. Spread the cream over the cake.
3. Decorate with sliced strawberries (or other fruit/berries).